Thursday, November 12, 2009

Oral Presentation Review

I felt in the end, I was presenting to skeptics. Not that all of you were skeptics, but it was the first time in a presentation I felt like the audience were actually against our ideas to begin with instead of the usual neutral viewpoint, and the 3 of us had to push really hard to "convert" the audience.

And I'm glad we did well. It was a topic close to everybody's heart, and hence everybody had opinions about our presentations and our recommendations. Suffice to say, I didn't quite foresee our Q & A session to pan out the way it did, but I'll take it, cause it means everybody was listening!

Kudos to Joshua and Amos who have been great group mates in this project! I think our presentation was clear yet concise and convincing at the same time! Our delivery was good and our slides were simple and effective! I love how Steve Jobs does his presentations and hopefully I managed to emulate a little bit of him in my presentation!

If I have to identify a flaw, I would say I always talk too fast. I reminded myself before presenting that I should slow down, but ultimately I fired off like a machine gun, but I guess I'm forgiven right? :)

7 comments:

Michelle said...

Hello Joel,

first, I apologize if I were too critical during your Q&A session. Next, I actually think you did really well. :) You did not seem nervous (maybe 'cause you constantly had a smile on your face.) And you presented your ideas in a clear and concise manner. I particularly like your first slide. :)

Regards,
Michelle

sherlynn said...

Hello Joel!

Firstly, I have to agree with Michelle that the first slide was good! I also felt like the slides were easy to read and understand. So there's some good use of visual aids there! :D

As for your presentation, I thought it was generally good, with good voice projection, good posture and appropriate hand gestures. But I have to agree that you went like a bullet train! It was quite fast but it was still quite clear so that is okay with me.

Also, I realised that sometimes you tend to look back into the slides quite abit. Perhaps you didn't realise but just a little bit too frequent. Just have to take note of it.

Other than that, everything's fine. I have to say that Q&A really was pretty rough for Team ROCKS. But I salute all of you for handling the questions from the floor so well! So, good job on that! (:

haivandethuong said...

I think your group has done a good presentation. My question was asked because I did not know that wiki is software. So, it would be helpful if you could try to make a connection between the ideas. That’s all from me.

Hai Van

g. said...

Hi Joel

I think you did very well. You were very confident and at ease while presenting. I especially liked how you handled the Q&A. Good job there!

Gwen

Joshua Chng said...

I didn't really think you were talking too fast, but maybe that was just because I already knew the points you wanted to say and thus didn't have any problems following you.

And yeah, I think we did okay too. Good luck with your finals, comrade!

Joel Chin said...

Hey everyone! I'm glad the Rocks did well for the Q & A. We sort of had an idea we would be questioned alot and we were all happy we survived it :)

Van - Yeap you're right! We could have made better connections and more background information for the uninitiated! Although we once again had to deal with whether or not our audience were the well informed CIT, or were they just people who had no idea what was going on, and hence we had to inform them of everything. In the end we sort of leaned towards a well-informed audience, and thus the lack of information!

Michelle, Sherlynn -The first slide was done by Joshua! Credits to him :D

Brad Blackstone said...

Thanks for the reflection, Joel. You bring up some good points, not the least of which is your goal of speaking like Jobs. He's a great model to work towards.

For your own delivery, I didn't notice your speaking too fast. maybe I'm so accustomed that I overlooked that. You also seemed comfortable presenting. The main problem was all the time looking at the slides.

In any case, thank you for the effort. It was a worthwhile presentation that I've already give you feedback on.