Monday, September 14, 2009

Personal Statement

The ability to listen is probably my greatest strength. I enjoy simple conversations over coffee, and how I can help others by simply offering a listening ear to them. In this fast-paced, quick-fix society, too often we seek solutions to our problems when we decide to open up and share them to others, hoping they can solve our problems for us. However, I believe that having someone to share your problems with is in itself a wonderful thing to have. Even if they do not offer solutions to our problems immediately, by confiding in them, we share our burdens and lighten our loads! I believe I have been offering that listening ear to many of my friends, so much so that if I wanted to, I could share with you many secrets that shouldn't see the light of day, but that would be betraying my friends' trust in me.

Listening goes beyond just being a confidant, it's a skill that can make the difference between making a potential client happy or falling short of their expectations. It makes things easier for you to establish good working relationships with your boss and colleagues. It is what makes leaders good, by being an effective listener. By listening, I have served customers and made their dining experience a pleasant one by understanding their needs with regards to their food. I helped my army unit achieved ISO 9001 re-certification by listening, understanding and make appropriate changes with regards to the requirements of the auditors during their pre-audit visits. By listening, I have led young teenagers and have them come back and express their gratitude simply because I listened to them.

"Most People will not really listen or pay attention to your point of view until they become convinced you have heard and appreciate theirs" (Nichols). Listening isn't my unique ability. I'm sure they are people out there who listen, but I'm glad I have listened effectively and I have seen how it has shaped many facets of my life and impacted people's lives around me.






5 comments:

Zheng, Rui said...

Hi Joel,

Your personal statement is well organized and it sounds reasonable. I agree with you that active listening skill is very important. Just one thing, I think it would be more impressive if you could describe a situation that you used your ability to listen to solve a problem.

Regards,
Zheng, Rui

Joshua Chng said...

It's true indeed, what you said about how wonderful it is to have someone who's willing to listen. It's why people love complaining to others, after all. Even when they know perfectly well that the one to whom they're complaining can do nothing to help them, it still feels good to let out all those irritations and disappointments. :D

g. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
g. said...

Hi Joel

Your personal statement is clear and easy to understand. It is very sincere and thus very convincing. I also liked how you backed it up with relevant evidence. However, it can be substantiated with a little more details. For example, "I have led young teenagers and have them come back and express their gratitude simply because I listened to them."-when was that and what was it about? A personal statement can sound vague without sufficient information to substantiate your points.

In addition, you might want to eliminate the use of short form such as "isn't" and "shouldn't". This will help your personal statement appear more professional.

Otherwise, its generally a very pleasant read. (:

Cheers
Gwen

Brad Blackstone said...

This is an interesting statement that is fairly well focused. You develop your ideas logically and cohesively. However, I feel the tone is too conversational. You could change that by making your discussion more objective. Try not to use the word "you"! That's too talky.

Here are other comments:

1) too often we seek solutions to our problems when we decide to open up and share them to others, hoping they can solve our problems for us. >>> the tone in this sentence is negative...do you want that?

2) It is what makes leaders good, by being an effective listener. > It is what makes leaders more effective. Example?

3) It makes things easier for you to >> Good listening makes it easier for a person to....

4) I'm sure they are people out there who listen... >>> There are many people who...

Thanks for the effort, Joel. And keep listening!